View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:25 PM

I guess I'm in the minority then that think that even if we would have smaller blocks we still wouldn't have anything more or that much taller than what they currently are. I mean we have only really have ever had one real developer, and that is the church. And I don't ever see Cowboy doing anything more ambitious than they currently have already. So what has told us that we would have taller buildings if we had smaller blocks besides looking at other cities. I mean, we really aren't that big of a city, and we definitely don't have the same drive as Austin. I just don't see large blocks as being a huge reason as to why we don't have tall buildings. I think its just a small piece of the puzzle. Is it a problem? Yes! But its not the real reason as to why. There are plenty of US cities that have a crap ton of available land in their downtown but still have tall buildings. And I understand the idea that large blocks create this idea in developers heads that they need to do something different and creative to make a great pedestrian experience but what developers are actually caring about the pedestrian experience? More than half of all the development downtown doesn't even offer street level retail.

Its not the large blocks so much keeping demand out, its the lack of large companies willing to locate there. And you cannot say that its the lack of office space downtown, if there was really that many companies willing to move downtown then the buildings will come. That is how every city midsize city operates.