View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

Regarding this proposal, a few personal thoughts.....
  • The development will be almost a mile north of the recycling center, so it doesn't seem like it would have any immediate impact on any impetus to repurpose that site in the immediate future.
  • The knee jerk reaction is to turn the skepticism dial up to 10. Personally, I would only go for 6 as these investors have been putting together this property for the last couple of years. I think it is a buy, get approvals and flip project where the second owner brings in bulldozers and cranes. We have seen similar deals with the Lifeway (now Nashville Yards) campus downtown and the large property in Midtown at Music Row.
  • This looks to be a 20 year +/- build out and will not resemble the renderings very closely. There is a lot of eye candy (ped bridges, movie studios, etc.) that don't seem to encourage a significant return on investment.
  • The most positive takeaway, is outside investors bullish take on Nashville and it's prospects for continued growth.
  • Your list; Damn!! I was willing to settle for the twin 40 story NCI project at the Shelby Street Bridge.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I certainly have a healthy dose of skepticism for this project. Thus the reason I said one of my Christmas wishes "may" come true. If it comes to any fruition, I know it may not come close to the vision depicted. And, I know it doesn't do any thing for the metal junk yard near the stadium. But my wish for the east bank is to start developing the east bank, because it will eventually create a greater need to relocate the metal recycling company.

The entire east bank (minus Nissan Stadium) as is no longer serves the greater good for land use in the urban core. It should be exactly what this developer envisions. They may not be the ones to take it to another level, but they might be the ones that cause others to turn their attention to that stretch of real estate. Just imagine what the area could be if all the industrial stuff is replaced with quads of buildings with green spaces between them. Even if they stay at the 15 story height limit that would be far better than what is there now. Although I would hope that such a restriction would be dismissed. It could be come Nashville's magnificent mile.