View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 11:48 PM
Me?!?

I think Reed has done/is doing a fantastic job. Could someone do it better? Would the citizens be willing to take that gamble? THAT is the real question I guess. All that seems to come to mind for me is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it...", though.

*But I must say that I do like a lot of Smith's ideas and what he says. Hmm...

DT continues to do its thing. :carrot:

Upscale cafe with live jazz planned in city

Wednesday, February 09, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Cafe Fresco, known for its gourmet coffees, wraps and pizzas on the 3300 block of Paxton Street, is spawning a second, more upscale location on Harrisburg's Restaurant Row.

"Anybody would like to be part of the growth downtown," said Cafe Fresco owner Nick Laus in announcing his plans at a City Council meeting this week.

Laus plans to open his 110-seat restaurant at 215 Second St. sometime in April, further fueling the growth of downtown Harrisburg.

It will be located in a renovated space that formerly housed the Mulberry Lane gift shop next to Stock's on 2nd restaurant.

The announcement comes on the heels of plans for a $4.5 million restaurant and banquet facility to be built on City Island's east shore, just south of the Market Street Bridge.

Dubbed the Island Grill, the 28,800-square-foot building with more than 600 seats could be open as early as August.

In addition, a French-Quarter-themed eatery and nightclub is scheduled to open at 321 N. Second St. in about a year.

"The Quarter" would hold 1,200 to 1,400 people, with a basement jazz club, a first-floor bar and a second-floor restaurant and raw bar.

The new Cafe Fresco will offer a full menu of breakfast lunch and dinner, with an emphasis on espresso and gourmet coffees -- much like its companion location in Swatara Twp.

"I'd really like to become the gourmet coffeehouse of Harrisburg," Laus said.

But unlike the suburban restaurant that opened in 2002, the downtown location will have a liquor license that will allow Cafe Fresco to include a 12-seat bar and offer bottled beer, wine and drinks.

Laus said he's also planning live jazz music and other attractions to give the new restaurant a "metropolitan" feel.

"You can go in and have a glass of wine or a cappuccino and listen to some jazz," Laus said. "As you develop a new place, you always try to out-do the last one."