View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2005, 11:24 PM
Me?!?

Not a bad idea really when you think about it. The Civil War Museum is a great place, but let's be honest here: it is now a big flop. Attendence is WAY down and there have been layoffs for years now. Hmm...could this have anything to do with the fact that A) the marketing and mgmt. was/is terrible and B) HARRISBURG ISN'T GETTYSBURG?

The more I think about this, the more interesting I think this election will be. I could see people crawling out of the woodwork to vote against Reed. Think about it: he really hasn't ran against anyone worth while in quite some time. But now...

Mayor candidate suggests closing Civil War Museum

Thursday, February 10, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's National Civil War Museum would be closed to make way for a more accessible and serviceable city government center.

That's one of the ideas floated yesterday by Jason N. Smith as he announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for mayor.

"Move city hall to Allison Hill," Smith said under a campaign banner emblazoned with the image of a stopwatch and the slogan "It's time."

"I like the idea of moving the center of our government to the center of our city," he added. "It would be a civic center."

Among his proposals, Smith said he could sell Harrisburg's downtown government center on Market Square for an estimated $4.5 million and move city operations.

The switch also would rid the city of the museum, which opened in Reservoir Park in 2001 at a cost of $39 million, including $17 million in artifacts. Smith called it a failed venture and a continuing financial drain.

Smith unveiled a list of other ideas, including reforming the city's authorities and rewriting its building codes, but was reluctant to name his priorities until he has a chance to meet with more residents.

"The platform will take focus over time," he said. "This campaign won't be won with one speech. ... It will be won through a thousand conversations."

The overarching theme of the campaign is that Reed has worn out his welcome in his six terms as mayor.

"Twenty-four years are enough," Smith said. "Mayor ... your time is up."

Reed released a one-paragraph statement deriding Smith's candidacy, his past activism in the city and his qualifications.

Calling him "often inaccurate and frequently misguided," Reed said Smith "has neither the maturity nor the fortitude to serve in a city elective office, let alone as mayor."

Smith responded that he is the same age -- 32 -- as Reed was when he won his first term. But Smith acknowledged that his experience is as a business owner, not a "career politician." Reed, now 56, had been a Dauphin County commissioner and state representative prior to becoming mayor in 1982.

Smith, best known for fighting Reed's proposal for a Wild West museum, said he expected to be outspent and outmaneuvered by Reed. But he added that he doesn't view his newcomer status as a disadvantage.

"People are tired of hearing [Reed's] name," Smith said. "I don't think the mayor is as strong as conventional wisdom would hold."

Smith recently switched his political affiliation to Democratic, the city's dominant party. He'd been an independent since December 2003, and before that a Republican.

Smith said he's making a full-time commitment to the campaign, adding that his design firm, Fathom, would be run by employees.

"I'm not a politician," he said. "I'm an underdog, but I've always won. I expect a groundswell of support."