View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
an F1 event in Vancouver would be exciting. any more sporting events to attend to, really, is a bonus for sports fans in this town. we've got a decent sporting scene with the whitecaps, the canucks and the lions.
I think we would have a better chance of Gregor realizing that we need a highway into downtown than getting an F1 race here. The quality of our roads is absolute crap compared to other cities that have street courses along with other logistical issues. Anyone remember the complaints about the facilities for the indy? Vancouver isn't exactly a Shanghai, Monaco or Singapore. With the extremely glammy crowd that frequents F1 races, throwing a couple tents up at the side of the road just wouldn't cut it. Monaco estimates that the total attendance is almost 200,000 people for their race with 100,000 alone on race day.

The upside of F1 is that the cars are considerably quieter now that they have moved to a turbocharged engine but i'm sure even with the whisper quiet formula E cars the NIMBY's would be upset.

I would be really happy to see motorsport return to Vancouver but I just can't see it happening. Heck even if the region could get a new motorsport facility that could host various series and was built to F1 spec it would be a good start.