View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 10:38 PM

I was there and happened to see Mayor Watts give a brief speech. One thing that struck me as very odd was that the guy from Bombardier said that the day's event was the first time they were unveiling their mock-up model of their Flexity Freedom LRV. What's confounding is that it was in a green livery with "Crosstown LRT: A TTC Metrolinx partnership" branding. The TTC and Metrolinx have been showing off the Crosstown LRT mock-up, so it isn't a stretch to guess that this is the same mock-up. How many could they have? Let alone in TTC livery?

Mayor Watts also said in the media scrum that for the $2.2B that Translink believes it may cost to put SkyTrain out to Langley City it could, instead, build several LRT lines and a BRT line for 2.1B. The 2.2B she quoted is a touch above Translink's 1.95B estimate in their Surrey Rapid Transit Study for RRT option 1.

Source:http://www.translink.ca/en/Be-Part-o...e-Designs.aspx

I think LRT is the way to go for some routes South of the Fraser, especially along King George Blvd, but I also think there's merit to extending SkyTrain to Newton and then BRT (later LRT) south of Newtown to Whiterock. This BRT (later LRT) line could also turn east at Newtown and head along Hwy 10 to Langley City with a stop at Cloverdale along the way. A B-Line BRT, and then LRT, also makes a lot of sense along 104 and along Fraser Highway to Langley City. If the resources can be mustered, I do think that extending SkyTrain to Langley City would serve the region well in the long-term.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jul 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM.