View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
You really think that of this project? I actually think this is one of his more substantially compelling works. I really find the network of cozy, terraced green spaces along the building a really beautiful gesture. Could you imagine how much fun it would be to explore the building by discovering all of those fun little intimate spaces? It's much more spatial than Beekman, or MIT, or Millenium Park.

I mean, I can understand how one doesn't like Gehry, but he left a huge impact on the trade and really stands against all of the artistic pretense that many accuse him of.
I love buildings like that. I spent a semester designing a hotel that worked along very similar principles. However, a hotel or apartment building by definition require multiple units, which might as well be modular. I still do not see how those units can result in efficient, workable PAC spaces. If this were a design for an apartment building by, say, the High Line, I'd be thrilled. However, I'm not sure whether the design works for its intended use and location.