View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:12 PM

I think Phoenix is the best city at hosting major sporting events in the country.

Major sporting events regularly hosted in the Phoenix area:

1. Super Bowls
2. College Football National Championships and their semi-final games (previously BCS Championship game rotation with the Fiesta Bowl)
3. NCAA Basketball Tournament Final Fours and regionals
4. Waste Management Phoenix Open (golf tournament) - if i remember right it's the most attended sporting event in the USA (considering the week-long attendance totals). The Saturday attendance day is right up there as the highest attended one-day event in the country - possibly second only to the Indy 500.
5. Spring Training (a month long host for 15 teams with games all over the city on a daily basis).
6. Nascar
7. All-star games, etc.

Some reasons I think sporting events are best and most easily hosted in the Phoenix area:

1. Weather - when these events happen, Phoenix has some of the best weather in the country (most accommodating to someone wanting to travel to a place to enjoy an event).
2. Large amount of resorts and hotels in general to house tourists/attendees.
3. Big centrally-located airport and good transportation system combined with ease of getting around the city via freeway or otherwise.
4. Political will and just experience in general to organize and put on large events.
5. Generally a good place to visit with lots to do for tourists (nightlife and shopping in Phoenix/Scottsdale, golfing, resorts to enjoy pool-side or golf courses, other major attractions like the Grand Canyon).