View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
My point is that near downtown, especially across the Brandywine River towards DE-202, that is where the crime is mainly and I'm unsure if people are going to want to be that close to it. The Riverfront is going to feel safe because it's not near the crime. The crime is more north. I don't know, I could be very wrong, its just that's what I've herd.
Downtown has many issues due to the surrounding neighborhoods that are quite violent, murderous, drugs/gangs rampant. It's not like Philly where the "Badlands" are up in North Philly or SW-West Philly. In Wilmington, you've got its "Badlands" a quick walk away, literally surrounding downtown. Hilltop, West Center City, Upper East Side/East Side, 11th Street Bridge, Riverside.... Look at the Shootings map (linked) if unfamiliar. Or the City neighborhood map to see where the hoods are (linked).

Riverfront is its own little enclave, its safe. But Southbridge on the other side of the Christina River (across from the Riverfront) is a neighborhood with all the issues of the hoods I listed above. So I wasn't surprised by hearing some Riverfront residents (privately) express unease about the planned commuter bridge to link the two areas. (just reporting what I've heard).

Basically King Street, marked on map, is close enough to Rodney Square to be viewed as "central downtown":
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/81518166/

http://www.ci.wilmington.de.us/about...gton/city-maps

Crime has been bad this past summer. Even Brandywine Park which is quite nice and surrounded by good neighborhoods, muggings in the park of people out on walks are occurring all the time, in broad daylight. Also, upper middle class areas of Trolley Square (Forty Acres), and the Highlands - have been hit with tons of car break-ins and property thefts recently. (There's been like 40+ Audi break-ins in the past 6 weeks, apparently Audi's are a hot item right now on the black market). Wilm PD has set up a special task force and notified residents via social media, but no arrests have been made.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Oct 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM.