View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
As many of you already know, the new owner of the Los Angeles Times announced on Friday the 13th that he intends to move the business out of the historic building they've occupied for decades. The new home for the Times will be a yet-to-be-built campus in El Segundo, of all places.

Times staff writer Ben Welsh posted this wistful message on Twitter: "The @latimes is set to vacate its historic downtown headquarters. I'll always cherish my memories exploring its many corners, which are at times ornate, eccentric, industrial and abandoned. And, like all great Art Deco, an inspiring blend of the archaic and the futuristic."

He also tweeted a fascinating series of photos of the building. Some of the photos show beautiful art deco details that I never knew existed.

The lobby is also impressive. The globe is motorized and is supposed to rotate, although Welsh says it's currently broken.

Not all of the photos Welsh shared are as alluring as these, but the entire thread is well worth a read. Here's a link if you're inclined to view it.

[image source: Twitter]
The murals in the Times lobby were done by Hugo Ballin, whose work we discussed recently in regards to the Post Office in Burbank. His work is also seen in the Griffith Observatory rotunda.

There once was an eagle on the paper's masthead as well but he was sitting with his wings folded. This was in 1920 and to the right side of the masthead was a picture of the building with the eagle with his wings spread.