View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Bottom line is I like old buildings, period. I'd rather see them busy, vital and in good condition than run-down and disused, but I'll take that (which can be repaired) over a pile of rubble (which can't.)

If you're asking if I am in favor of preserving the nuisance (the drug activity, the deferred maintenance, etcetera) then no, I'm not. I like the building. Some seem to think that "preservation" means "keep everything exactly the same forever." They're wrong.
Well, I appreciate your appreciation of old buildings. But the Greyhound station looked like a temporary structure from the moment is was built. A couple of curved lines and lettering do not an Art Deco structure make. It appears to have built on the cheap and that part of it has stood the test of time. In my view there is little, if anything, worth preserving... Particularly if demands/threats by preservationists delay revitalizing that critical block of downtown.

Pick your battles wburg. Going to the mat on this issue damages your ability to fight the good fight later.