View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
You do realize you have suburbs in Canada, too? You're talking about only a few miles in that shot.
That shot shows Lakewood and West Denver, so about 11-12 miles from Downtown to the foot of the mountain he was standing on. Another 13-14 miles eastward to where it turns black. This it is a low population density even for the US. 2.5-3 million people (3 if you count Boulder County, which is largely beyond the built urban area I am talking about) and about 25-30 miles end-to-end. I'm not quite sure how this compares with Canadian cities, but I too had a similar thought about the extend of American sprawl this summer when I was in Europe. In Prague, a metro area of about 2.3 million according to Wikipedia, you could easily see a substantial amount of the countryside from a geographic high point. The same was true in Vienna, and even in much larger London from the top of the giant wheel. In Denver, and most large American cities, all you can usually see at night is lights stretching all the way to the horizon (unless you manage to get 1,500+ feet above it all like Ryan did).

I shouldn't comment though without also saying how much I too love this piece. Amazing work! I have also watched it several times already.