View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBerliner View Post
Did they provide a timeline for when the academic expansion and/or mixed use expansion might be built?

This looks like it could be a great project, but I do worry about how many years we'll just have surface parking on half the block.
That was actually a question asked by someone in the audience last night. The answer Ken McLaughlin gave was somewhat mixed. First of all, he said in an unclear way that it is their plan and hope to have each phase begin construction right after the previous one finishes. However, he also said that due to recent economic conditions, nothing is certain. He said that after all, no one really expected '08 to be as bad as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyfriends View Post
There is an absolute need now to change the part of Waterloo Town Square that faces Caroline.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night during the meeting. This is First Gulf's calling to do something with the mall's rear end. If you've ever walked down that side of Caroline on a hot summer day behind Valu Mart's receiving door, the dumpsters reak beyond anything else and are usually leaking garbage juice onto the sidewalk. You have to admit though, one of the reasons why Uptown has been so successful over the past few years is because it has a full-service grocery store (something Kitchener has been lobbying for for years, and sorry the new Shoppers doesn't quite cut it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyfriends View Post
So much for the half window curtains a lot of Segram Loft residents have gotten away with until now
Another issue raised by a resident of the Seagram Lofts last night was whether the lights will be turned off at a certain time from the parking and whether they will be respectful of the residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
I mean, KW shys away from doing any type of underground parking due to the economics of such, so that idea is out.
(from Charles/Benton Parking Structure Thread)

Actually (which I found quite interesting, but not-surprising to say the least) Shirley Blumberg addressed the underground parking issue and said that there will only be 1 level of underground parking on the site due to Kitchener-Waterloo's high water table. This is why you don't see many underground garages around here, especially Uptown with the buried Laurel Creek and all.