View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 2:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is pretty cool. Read Quote to get what the maps about then check out map. Involves 432 Park Ave.

=========================

Quote:
I live in BedStuy Brooklyn. Every night before I wrap up my day, I walk our dog. Monty is a Golden Retriever who loves to explore! Recently, I realized that I can see the “super tall” 432 Park Avenue throughout our walks and occasionally when I drive over the weekends. I wonder if it is only about height? Maybe yes, maybe no. 432 Park Avenue is a tall building, in fact tallest residential building in NYC. Here are some facts:

Address: 432 Park Avenue
Number of Floors: 85 (above ground) + 3 (below ground)
Height: 1,369 ft (424 m)
Design Architect: Rafael Vinoly

Being curious I used NYC’s Open Data and created a 3-D model. The model consists of all buildings in NYC with their 3-D shapes and the elevation model of NYC. What I wanted to know is which streets have visibility to 432 Park Avenue tower. I used ArcGIS to utilize a viewshed analysis and clipped the results to NYC street data. Voila! Pretty visible – Although the tower is in a dense area of Manhattan, its unique slender shape and location makes it visible from all boroughs. Enough said, enjoy the map!

Credit: Alihan Polat at https://unchartedgeography.wordpress.com/