View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:54 PM

No license, just went via Mexico. The Cubans are happy to let you in, though I was almost denied entry due to the amount of camera gear I was carrying. They thought I was a journalist that was there for the Pope's visit. After some negotiating at customs they finally let me go. On the return trip I had planned to use my birth certificate and drivers license to avoid the second entry stamp from Mexico. No such luck, either the guys at immigration were being dicks or the rules have changed; I got two entry stamps from Mexico on the same page. When I went back through the US, I said I visited Mexico and Belize and just hoped the immigration officer didn't look too closely for the non existent Belize stamp. Luckily, the guy didn't even bother looking at the Mexico stamps, he was more interested in my Cambodia and Kenya visas from a few years ago.

You can join a special cultural tour but it's going to cost an arm and a leg and you are extremely constrained because you are with a guided group the whole time. When doing research online, I don't think anyone has gotten in trouble for visiting the country even if they are caught. I think you get a stern talking to and a letter from the feds stating their intent to fine, but they never do so. Though it probably does go on your permanent record which could be bad if you want to work with some level of Gov security clearance.

White sands huh? Did you visit the Trinity site? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Carlsbad is pretty cool too, did you get a chance to visit sitting bull falls? Also a nice spot for photos. What ever happened to your South America threads, you still planning on posting them?