View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/0...tial-building/

Rockrose Building Queens’ Tallest Residential Building

May 21, 2013
By Al Barbarino

Quote:
Rockrose Development Corp. is in the process of demolishing seven dilapidated Long Island City warehouses to pave the way for the construction of what will become the tallest residential building in Queens, The Commercial Observer has learned.

The 50-story, 907,000-square-foot, 500-foot-tall building at 43-25 Hunter Street will not only be the tallest, but it will also feature 975 units – more units than any other residential building in Queens, the firm said.

“That means a lot of apartments with a lot of very amazing views of the city,” said Justin Elghanayan, who runs the company with his father, Henry. “Court Square is zoned very high, but all the areas around it are very low.”

Rockrose will open up bidding to find a subcontractor in the coming weeks, with construction of the property slated to begin in the fourth quarter and completion of the estimated $400 million project scheduled for sometime in 2016.

The property is situated in the Court Square area of Long Island City, where the 50-story Citigroup tower at One Court Square once stuck out like a sore thumb. But Rockrose has led the way in the methodical transformation of the area’s residential and retail landscape and Mr. Elghanayan believes his new tower will sit well alongside Citigroup’s.

“I always looked at the Citigroup tower and it looked so lonely. I said, ‘Citigroup needs a girlfriend.’ So in my mind, this building is its girlfriend,” he said.

“You know when you have a couple and one person kind of softens the other person? I’m hoping that this building will have the same effect architecturally on the Citigroup tower because right now it’s so monolithic and lonely on the skyline.”

The buildings being demolished to make way for the new tower, which will sit on a 47,800-square-foot lot, include 25-25 44th Drive; 43-25, 43-15, 43-11 and 43-09 on Hunter Street; and 27-02 and 27-06 on 43rd Avenue.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.