View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2004, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church
that's the transbay plan we've all been raving about, joel. it's redevelopment, mostly of the old embarcadero freeway ROW, to fund the new transbay terminal (long, low bldg in white at center), it's been surprisingly well-received, and as redevelopment it's more or less exempt from the usual process anyway - so it's going to happen. the only real open question is the height of the landmark tower in front of the terminal. the plan made the case for a tower roughly as tall as transamerica (853ft) to provide a focal point for the new, south-of-market skyline. in that rendering, tho, it's closer to the existing height limit of 550ft.

might also mention that just below that is rincon hill, where the planning dept is pushing a half-dozen highrises up to 550ft. that plan's reception has been more mixed, but a quartet of 400 and 350ft towers was just approved, so SF is going to get a number of decent-sized (anyway) new towers in SOMA over the coming years.

tekno, it's a lowrise hotel.
Yeah, I know its nothing new but I personally hadn't seen that render before so I thought I'd post it. SoMa desperately needs a peak to its skyline and I think that render really shows why that's the place for it.

To me, what's shocking about this whole development is that lack of any serious local opposition. Although, if I were a planner I'd try to get that under-construction before too many apartments get occupied in the area.

Has the SF office market picked-up at all? Its still somewhat soft here.