View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm not a fan of sprawl either, however I try to be more realistic on the future. MPO's have to plan for the expected or anticipated demand and growth of areas within their jurisdiction. MAG (Mountainland Association of Governments) has to predict where growth will occur and how much that growth will be. Based on the trends of the past 20-30 years there is projected to be growth in South Utah Valley as well as Cedar Valley. If trends shift, due to demand, to more urban and centralized growth than the needs analysis will shift as well.

So while I would prefer a more centralized core. If trends and development patterns don't change, (gas prices, price of water, incentives to develop gray fields as opposed to green fields) then the MPO's must have the foresight to predict demand and plan the needs for that demand. Right-of-ways need to be acquired, not when the growth inevitably happens but if that growth happens. It is much more cost effective now than after the growth happens.

MAG, has already projected the growth of Cedar Valley and have estimated the need for a freeway out there. One that loops to Lehi, MVC and reconnects with I-15 just south of Santiquin. I have seen the maps at community meetings, however I can't find them on their website. There is a lot of interesting information regarding many studies on their site thought. http://www.mountainland.org/
There is plenty of demand for urban development, There just aren't that many options available to the public. In the last 20-30 years, we've seen irresponsible development and "stupid growth (the antithesis of smart growth)", loss of orchards, and a housing bubble burst. Why would we want to follow these trends and project them into the future.?! Does MAG have any ulterior motives? Is this organization run by developers who hope to make a profit? I just don't know enough about this organization to trust it, or lend it credibility.