View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 6:54 AM

New Comcast Tower

I am shocked and in awe at the overwhelming delight toward this new Comcast Tower with not even one expressed concern about the proposed placement of this building. I have scoured the internet for postings, comments, etc over the horrific location of the proposed tower, and yet have only come across people ecstatic about the addition of this building.

Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed at the addition of what would be the cities new tallest structure, and bear in mind; my issue with the proposed site presumes no knowledge of location of this tower do to technical necessity and the such; however, in terms of aesthetic considerations, not only does this tower add nothing to our cities skyline, it actually subtracts from it covering at least two beautiful skyscrapers directly behind it. again, barring any knowledge of zoning issues etc. "bunching" seems to be this cities new trend when it comes to developing towers in this city.

Philly's last edition, the Comcast Tower also seemed to detract from the breadth of our skyline by in my opinion being built to close to other buildings; at least I believed its positioning could have also worked to expand our skyline; my major concern is that this type of planning ultimately has the effect of creating a great big pyramid of rectangular masses further minimizing the impact of our skyline.

What is most disturbing to me about this project more than any other in my lifetime is that this tower single handedly has the ability to transform not only our skyline as second to none except NYC and Chicago, but also signaling to the world that Philadelphia has finally embraced the necessary image of a city seriously intent on becoming a world class city.

This new tower for me is not so much about its architecture than it is about its location. This building would nearly double our skyline placed anywhere east of city hall, and in the process assuredly creating future development as an expanded midtown corridor. This along with the ongoing development of the towers being built at the Cira Centres would reshape the image of this city throughout the world.

Last edited by lwill; Jan 19, 2014 at 6:56 AM. Reason: pic