View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
A great discussion of this type of thing is here: http://marketurbanism.com/2017/01/27...al-u-s-cities/
1) I never prefer comparing Denver to SF, NYC or DC - for many good reasons. 2) I don't think it's the duty of liberals to solve all of the world's social issues.

Neither do I have a passion for liberal or conservative elite NIMBY's... HOWEVER in the interest of erring on the side of caution I do think preserving the character of the neighborhood is vital - as general point.

Context is Everything with me and since you are unfamiliar with Denver they have redone their zoning with areas of stability and areas of change etc. With respect to the suburb of Lakewood wanting to arbitrarily limit population growth well that looks like THIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
The only way to decrease home prices is to increase supply. Those "fugly boxes for the rich" increase supply. The issue isn't the type of housing being built, it's the amount of it. Every new unit in a luxury building means one less occupied unit down-market. Basic economic history shows that attempting to curb demand (for housing at least) is damn near impossible, the only way out of this is by building.

Recognizing that there really is no such thing as "high end product" is also important. Over time it just becomes units available for sale/rent.

If you're serious about affordability the answer in every case is to do everything you can to encourage building things.
Very well said, I wholeheartedly agree... except where it comes to destroying the character of neighborhoods. Then I equivocate.