View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I am talking about how it has become popularly used today, I do know of the Matrix. As for the quotes, you might want to read Cassie Jaye's story of the funding, not as sinister as you might be thinking.

From Wikipedia

Funding

According to director Cassie Jaye she initially struggled to find financiers for a film about the men's rights movement. In an October 2015 interview with Breitbart News she said "we weren't finding executive producers who wanted to take a balanced approach, we found people who wanted to make a feminist film." Jaye instead started making the film using her own money as well as money from friends and family. She also started a campaign on the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter, which she called a last resort. The Kickstarter page, which described the project as a fair and balanced look at the men's rights movement, was strongly criticized by some feminists. The campaign raised $211,260, exceeding its goal of $97,000.

Alan Scherstuhl's review for The Village Voice suggested that many of those providing funding for the film may have themselves been men's rights activists (MRAs), thereby creating a conflict of interest. Jaye has said that the suggestion the film was funded by MRAs is "a common lie that keeps spreading". Jaye stated that "our five highest backers ... are neither MRA nor feminist. I would say three out of five of them didn't even know about the men's rights movement, but wanted to defend free speech," and that the film's backers and producers would have no influence or control of the film.

Hahaha.

Good god. It became popular on reddit years before the documentary was made. Just like everyone knew who Cassie Jaye was and what her agenda was before it was made (not exactly a no name personality online).

Performative identity politics isn't a product of the "radical left". It finds a comfortable home with culture warriors of all stripes. Case in point.