View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:56 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Alberta, western Canada has a pretty small black population compared to large Eastern North American cities, immigration is more Asian dominated. Nevertheless, We've had black provincial politicians - recently provincial cabinet minister Lindsay Blackett.

Rural communities like Slave Lake had a Muslim woman as Mayor. I don't recall any black Alberta Mayor's, but I can't see why a black person in Alberta would face any sort of different level of acceptance compared to any other visible minority. There simply aren't any historical factors here that would.

Anyway, there's a decent chance my gay, black boss (chief of staff to Calgary's Mayor) will run for Federal office as a liberal, so we'll see how that goes if he does run ;-)

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/...entre-liberal/

Yes, my friend is fluent in French.

I actually read last year during Black History Month that there is was/is an entire town in Alberta that was settled by freed slaves in the 1800s. I dont remember which one, I'll have to do some searching. Pretty cool bit of history though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Sweet Jesus...can we just lock this thread and call it a day? It's just another typical "city vs. city/province vs. province" POS thread with little relevance to the actual topic.

To be honest, with the maturity of this thread, I wish the damn website would just go away. So very little to do with actual skyscrapers/urbanism anymore. Disappointing as only 5 years ago, it was an amazing source to visit for those interested in these topics.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention when making this thread. As always though, the Montrealers have to talk shit about Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.