View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 9:59 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
Call this sacrilage in the face of our urban values, but I would be the first one up in arms if the mount royal area was facing redevelopment pressure. It is an incredibly beautiful area, and everytime someone from out of town comes to visit, its one area I tend to show them. Each house is unique, the landscaping is mature and well kept. So long as the area doesnt get special property tax treatment, I think it should be protected as both historical, and unique.

Since mount royal density is not the base line for the majority of the cities neighbourhoods, and it covers such a small area, there is nothing to be gained by trying to redevelop it, and a tremendous amount to lose.

Attention should be on creating a new high quality standard for new communities. I think every knew suburb should have at its core an area like brew street in port moody with SFH on the outer perimeter, or should look similar to a neighborhood called Discovery Bay in HK. Check it out, I think most people, even suburbanites would like that area.
Mount Royal may end up being similar to the area south of downtown vancouver around kitsilano. Many of the Uber-large home have been broken into 4-6 BEAUTIFUL suites. I see that happening to some of them. Its amazing how many homes you can fit into one of those mansions.