View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
also remember..now is a high time for alot of students..to have to focus on schoolwork. They don't have the time or the effort to go walk around downtown..sure that weekly night out at Hess or whatever..but other than that..they're loaded overall with their focus on school.
To be frank, the residence experience at Mac historically tends to breed insularity and the expectation of convenience. Everything is there for you, albeit a less flavourful version of what you might be able to get off-campus. Many Mac students regularly travel no further than Westdale, maybe a kilometer from their bed. At first I thought that the change of circumstance might introduce an interesting variable, but I can see the flip side as well. It's not just about comfort level but also spare time. If this happened in late September, maybe it'd be a different story. November to January isn't the ideal time to be exploring downtown. And displaced students may have social ties within Brandon and among other residences on campus that they'll want to maintain. Hotels have plenty of tourism info, from maps to guidebooks, so it's not like they're on Mars or something. I really think it comes down to time. Hess on the weekend is a comfort and a constant, and it's what they know. Many Hamiltonians have to be coaxed into visiting downtown or require the reassurance of a crowd to know that a cultural pastime is the thing to do. It's not an exclusively undergraduate condition.