View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
She can't do anything about schools. That's the Provincial Government.
I was talking about this announcement yesterday.

Quote:
Premier Christy Clark visited Surrey’s Panorama Park Elementary school Friday to announce 2,700 more student spaces for the overcrowded district.

The spots include 600 new seats through “rapid expansion projects" at Sullivan Woodward Hill and Panorama Park elementary schools.

The remaining 2,100 student spaces will be created through two new schools - a Grandview Heights secondary (expected to be completed by the end of 2020) and a Clayton North elementary (expected to be completed by the end of 2019).

The province also committed to buy new land for a new elementary school in Port Kells.

The projects come with a price tag of about $100 million. The province will foot about $74 million of the bill, with the district shelving out the rest

Maybe Christy wanted first dibs on the announcement but this is good news to more business people than a network of helipads. And surrey has skin in this, $25 million is coming from the city. Why wouldn't she want to end the speech with this?

-------

Quote:
Last I checked also SkyTrain and B-Line service is under Translink's control which is again the Provincial Government.
Did you even read the link to Daryl?

Quote:
There are 5 of the new 96 B-Line buses in service today, which has me thinking that by now there should be some excitement in the city regarding this brand-new transit infrastructure. The new buses are absolutely wonderful: they’re smooth and quiet; have more space inside for passengers; and feature security cameras, modern LED lighting and air-conditioning. These are the first hybrid diesel-electric buses in Surrey, and it is the first time that Surrey’s bus depot has received brand new buses (instead of old hand-me-downs) in 17 years.

While great investments like these tend to come with big political photo-ops, only TransLink seems to be bothering with any sort of advertisement about the fact that there are new buses in Surrey.

The City of Surrey’s own Twitter feeds are blank, the Facebook page is blank, and not one Councillor or the Mayor has offered a single word about the new buses. No one from the city had anything to say about the buses during the time before their arrival, and this has continued now that many of them are in service. I thought politicians in this city really cared about transit issues, but it seems that riders are expected to enjoy the new buses without even a single word from their representatives
A BoT lunch, a great opportunity to promote for free this recent city-building news, missed.

--------

Quote:

Did you actually mean "Premier?" Seems like you are confused the two.

Please. If Hepner talked about going it alone on the LRT lines without victoria i'm sure it's within her office to talk about transit, schooling and crime.

Last edited by mezzanine; May 21, 2016 at 3:18 PM. Reason: typo