View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Very true, people again and again (continue to) underestimate technologies like EV's and PV Solar. The technology for boat is advancing at an astounding rate, something which might be more clear if we were having this discussion in Europe or East Asia.
Unfortunately PV Solar is effectively useless in BC and mostly useless in the rest of Canada other than the southern prairies.
https://ecosmartsun.com/solar-map-ca...-carousel-1088

Could be worse. While most of BC is in the 1.2Kwh range, most of the US is in the 4K range except for California-Nevada-Arizona-Utah-Colorado which hits 7Kwh. So that just means you need a larger installation, and hence the ROI is negative for large installations. Smaller installations designed just to fuel EV cars along the highway with no other utility power are obviously a possibility regardless of the ROI.

The West coast is actually prime area for geothermal energy since this is where all the volcanic activity is. But you can't just plop one of those down anywhere, and many of the potential locations are also tourism areas with existing natural hotsprings.

Personally, I'd want a Tesla if I could get any EV car, but my needs don't even approach needing a car for anything right now. So I'm content to wait for better technology.