View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:59 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I am in that age group where the USSR existed while growing up, so any of the countries that were part of it are completely lost on me plus so many have been broken up into different ones or don't even exist anymore. like is Yugoslavia still exist?

Its kinda weird or hard to explain perhaps but what you learned in school growing up is kinda how you still see the world. It's not an unwillingness to change but more of a just not something you unlearn I guess. Russia to me will always be the place where they lined up for bread. China will always be Tiananmen Square. When I was a kid people would say eat that all food on your plate there are kids starving in china. Then, later on it was kids are starving in Africa. Now I don't think people say things like that anymore.
I know what you're saying. Once you leave school, you don't really give these sorts of things much thought. We're all too preoccupied with work, and I guess kids for some of you and things like that. So it's easy to maintain an image of places from when you actually did think of them. It's not hard to unlearn though, you just have to always keep learning.

For example, as you said, I always thought all of Africa looked like those commercials. It wasn't until I got into rugby that I realised South Africa existed and was quite developed. China to me used to be where absolutely everything was made. It's also easier now with the internet. Don't have to take school at its word.

And no, Yugoslavia isn't a state anymore.