View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes. I don't but I know people who do. There is a TV network in Quebec that broadcasts every single day's "stage" in its entirety, so there must be an audience for it.

Besides, what's so funny about following cycling? Geez murphy, they're a lot tougher than baseball players let me tell you. What's more strenuous and impressive: standing in the middle of a field for 2 1/2 hours waiting for the occasional ball to catch, or cycling up a mountain in the Alps at full speed without stopping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b31den View Post
Tour de France is probably the toughest major sporting event in the world to win or even complete. A lot of people giggle at how many teeth hockey players are missing and how the sport is so sad the NHL has to allow fighting to keep ratings from sinking even lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthesky View Post
In Toronto or the GTA itself the Jays are far more popular than the Argos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of Montrealers couldn't give a crap about baseball, in fact you would be hard pressed to find a baseball diamond on the island of Montreal,so Montreal lost it's baseball team boo hoo hoo, does that make the city less attractive and vibrant? last time I checked London, Paris, Hong Kong,Moscow,Shanghai, Sydney, Rome are all without baseball teams,PS that shit sport is even more boring live than it is on TV..... I rather watch curling hurry hard hard
There's nothing very funny about following the Tour de France...that's why I am only giggling quietly. Cycling is tough as crap and I have the utmost respect for those guys, my original comment wasn't totally serious so don't get those panties knotted up

Hockey is so sad the NHL has to let players fight to keep up ratings? That must explain why international tournaments where no fighting is allowed have the highest ratings....oh wait....

No one is questioning the vibrancy of the city of Montreal for not having a baseball team (though having a popular baseball team in the inner city that consistently sells out and gives fans a good experience doesn't hurt a city...see Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee etc)

And London, Paris and Hong Kong not having baseball teams is rather irrelevant in this discussion.

You think baseball is more boring live than TV? I guess some people have different entertainment demands I guess, but being at the ballpark in the few MLB games I have attended (Seattle, LA, San Diego, Toronto) were 1000X more enjoyable to me than watching on TV IMO

I would also rather watch curling than baseball, the Brier beats the Jays any day IMO for excitement value (I'm 100% serious when I say this) though being from the prairies it's more a part of our culture than most Easterners who tend to condescend the game without understanding it and realizing how difficult it actually is

Jays are more popular than the Argos in TO? Good for them, my post was saying baseball is 3rd in Canada (that means Toronto and the ROC) and nothing else

IMO baseball could be successful in MTL given the proper circumstances, look at where the CFL in Montreal was in the early 90s and it's plenty similar to the MLB there now. Look at the CFL there now.....getting an MLB team can end up well. If you build it, they will come.