View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
You can bet the Supreme Court will be hearing this...
It's technically unconstitutional, as far as I can tell, because it creates a "suspect class" because it isn't narrowly tailored.
Basically, there's NO POSSIBLE way to look at an individual and judge whether they're an "illegal immigrant" or not, thus authorities HAVE to racially profile.

The funny thing is, the state officials KNOW this. I think they're just trying to pull attention towards this issue, but I fear we'll get burned for this. In fact, we (or rather, Arizonans - because I no longer live there) are already suffering from this. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

We have a habitual need to deal with these kinds of issues in this way. Look at the Japanese and the Internment Camps, the Red Scare, citizens of Middle-Eastern descent and Muslims...on a legal level, this is highly interesting, and I'm happy it happened, ONLY because it means the Supreme Court can now rule on it and set a precedent...meaning that we won't be seeing anything similar from many other states in the future. Also, it's interesting that we now have Justice Sotomayor.
As far as you can tell...can you tell us what your understanding is of SB1070? Have you read it?