View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Hudson Yards | VESSEL | 154.6 FT

The new centerpiece of the Hudson Yards is to be unveiled in July...

http://wwd.com/retail-news/retail-fe...-cos-10387536/

Quote:

“I see Hudson Yards as an episode within the city,” says William Pedersen, founding design partner of Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, which is the architect
for the 10 Hudson Yards and 30 Hudson Yards office buildings....

“The key is going to be this sculptural piece,” he adds. “The beauty of the Eiffel Tower is that it is participatory. You ride up it. This is going
to be participatory as well. It’s not as tall. It will be more civic. It can contain more people.
It will be symbolic of community, of people
enjoying a place. It will allow the other buildings to rally together, creating an ensemble of buildings....

At the 90-story, 30 Hudson Yards, “the drama is going to reside in the observation deck,” Pedersen says. “You come out 80 feet into the air, just a little bit
higher than the Empire State Building. The real excitement is getting out on the prow. We put a circular opening through it, so you can stand and look
straight down through a glass opening.”

I'm excited for this, even though I'm not sure what it is. But it's clear that the Hudson Yards won't just be a collection of skyscrapers.

The Heatherwick piece will go here...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.