View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
You have things mixed up. I'm calling for a smaller capacity stadium not 80,000. You are right, the Liberty Bowl is too big outside of an SEC team playing the Tigers or in the Liberty Bowl. The 80,000 was some one wanting the MDN article wanting to add to the Liberty Bowl. Now, that is insane. The NFL stadium has, what, 8 regular season games and a couple of preseason games. Some host bowls, some dont especially the open air ones outside of Florida. The idea is to find a way to add a couple of additional games outside of the Tigers, the LB and the Southern Heritage Classic. There's the trend of early season Neutral site games, Memphis would be in a good position to pitch this possibility with this stadium.

The stadium for a concert would only hold up to about it's normal capacity. My vision sees a stadium. With three levels. 25,000 capacity lower bowl that completely circles the playing surface, club and suites between it and the second tier 3/4's oval of 15,000 and another ring of suites and a third tier of about 7,500 to 9,000 that's a 3/4s bowl designed to optimize viewing events at the end that has just the lower bowl seating. Above that end, there would be a good sized plaza in front of a glass wall givong a glimpse of the to the west that could hold temp seating for the Liberty Bowl that would add about 5,000 or more if needed.

As for the arguement that Ole Miss and Tenn play in older stadiums, well yeah but how many 100s of millions have been spent to basically rebuild not remodel them o er the years. I can show you the original 100s section of Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville and claim that it's ancient. But... it's not especially after this

https://app.oxblue.com/open/universityofarkansas

Just think of how many more Tar Heal and Wildcat fans would have came and spent if the venue was 40,000 instead of 20,000. Just saying

Sorry, I was tired and typing too fast-- I see now you said 60,000. My mistake. I was hoping they'd move in the new stadium direction about 10-15 years ago but it looks like that ship has sailed-- for now. Something that will have to come up again eventually but as for now I'm at least happy they've built at least a tailgating area and a place for fans to hang out prior/after the game. When I was a student there the entire area was barns, etc. That's why I'm hoping at least for now they do something with the Fairgrounds to make it all interact. And I'd love a new CC but it looks they'll just go with their original plans of renovating-- which in itself COULD work-- I'm hoping they don't screw up the Pinch/Mud Island master plans, hopefully they do something to connect it all since it looks like they're going that route. As far as the land you are talking about near the CA-- perfect opportunity to re-develop as well. I could dig the idea of a stadium with the Forum connecting it all into a big entertainment area, but again unfortunately I think they've committed to the LB, nor would they money be there for it.