View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Toronto's wealth is along Yonge. There's far more wealth within a mile or so of Yonge than anywhere to the east or west. Places like Rosedale, Forest Hill.

I'm using the Yonge corridor because I'm comparing apples-apples; i.e. the most desirable inner city geographies in the respective cities.

I don't understand the point. No one in Chicago would call Lincoln Park the most "urban, dense, culturally relevant, heavily visited" either. Rich neighborhoods tend to be kinda boring.

But if you wanna compare, say, Queen West to Wicker Park, I think you'll also see differences in street level form. The overall point is that Toronto and Chicago don't look very similar from the ground.

That they're wealthy corridors is still an arbitrary point of comparison though. You could just as well make the point that the two cities are nothing alike by posting streetviews of their respective Polish neighbourhoods. That two areas in different cities have a single common characteristic doesn't otherwise make them good analogues.

For the record, I agree with the premise that Chicago and Toronto don't have all that much in common aside from being vaguely similar-sized Great Lakes cities; however, using a block of 60s office towers at Yonge & Eglinton as an example of a "typical" commercial corridor is also obviously disingenuous.