View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:28 PM

Agree with all the comments here re ESB. However, the new WTC is pretty iconic, too. Which is quite remarkable given how new it is. The others on the list in the original post? I've never heard of them and so I can't imagine that the average Joe on the street has either.

In fact - and sorry if this is moving the topic of discussion too far off - I'd venture to say that there are very, very few buildings that the typical person would recognize and know it by name. And my list would be very NY-centric. Empire State Building, Sears Tower (doubtful most people know of the name change), the Twin Towers, and perhaps the Chrysler Building and 1WTC. Maybe even Trump Tower since it's been in the news so much. I can't imagine any other buildings (not skylines!) that the average person would recognize and know by name. Towers abroad? I'm probably being too generous: London's Gherkin and whatever the world's tallest building is at the moment, though they change so frequently, I think this might be a stretch.

And think about it - what other cities besides NY and Chicago - feature skyscrapers as their most iconic monument? SF has the Golden Gate Bridge; Philly has Independence Hall and the Art Museum; DC has the White House; LA has the Hollywood sign; Seattle has the Space Needle.

Last edited by McBane; Apr 11, 2018 at 3:44 PM.