View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2006, 2:03 AM

It is not the demolition of Utrecht that I'm condoning, it's the demolition of the building and then offering the store a new place to relocate to...even if it was in the same location after the new construction.

Skyfan, I'm not sure you are aware of the size of that block. It is HUGE! On Woodward and Hancock, there is an historic building, and I think the building that Domino's and Radio Shack is in is also historic underneath the tin facade. Further back on Hancock is the an old apartment building, Blimpie's Sub Shop, turning the corner is Church of Christ Scientist, and a whole strip of retail on Warren up to another location of historic buildings.

Wayne State needs to preserve its history like all other college campuses do around the country and world. The retail on that block can go and then be replaced with a nice mix-use like the hotel and conference center would offer. But all of that can fit on that huge square without having to demolish the history.

I would love to see the corner demolished and replaced tomorrow with a nice, midrise, iconic hotel that would redefine Woodward.