View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
own a single-family dwelling. Municipal bylaws generally dictate that if the neighbours can hear your party and/or your dubstep after 12:00 midnight, you are obligated to turn it down to an acceptable level. And believe me, having grown up in a North York suburb, sound carries surprisingly well even when your houses are all completely separated, so you cannot escape that obligation. If you want to take an "I don't care, I do what I want" approach, then a large piece of rural acreage would be more suitable.
I'm young and like to have people over. I was able have 30-40 people over for parties at my parents place multiple times a year in suburban Calgary and never once get a noise ticket. As far as I know, that would be impossible to do in a condo that is in a reasonable price range.

I don't disagree with your points. I understand that it's greedy and uneconomical, but frankly if I'm going to spend the next 15-25 years paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a home, it better allow me to at least host a birthday party.

If condo builders could properly insulate units then I would never even consider a house.