View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 6:38 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I don't really understand your statement. You make it sound as if blocks can't be split up and walkable with out having a strict, secondary half-scale grid. But surely they can. Mid-block (wherever that may be, certainly not strictly in the middle in many cases) connections can still be made around most mid-block buildings. Heck, it would give Salt Lake a more European feel if our blocks were split up with random web-like connections. Cities like London manage to be walkable despite a near-total lack of foresight and organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
It doesn't have to be a perfect grid to be walkable. sometimes the unexpected is more interesting to the pedestrian.
Both statements very well said. There is room for connections on nearly every block. Those connections in most cases won't be direct line of site for say Main to State or Main to W. Temple, but with the right design it can easily happen.

Here's an example that I drew up on the State St RDA site. The State st connection to floral ave is already planned, simply by extending walkways appropriately through other redevelopment in the middle of the block, an engaging walkway could be created from State St. to 200 E, not to mention the already existing N/S connection on Edison St from 200 S to 300 S, this could also be vastly improved with the right redevelopment.