View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:40 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I see what you're saying, but I didn't get that at all as far as Pittsburgh is concerned. I think it's just because Pittsburgh is too hilly to have any extensive grand elegance like I noticed in St. Louis in the areas you mention. The University Circle/Cleveland Heights/University Heights areas of Cleveland though, yes.
i was definitely thinking of that part of cleveland probably more than pittsburgh, the eds and meds fueled nodes of pittsburgh came to mind more generally.

st. louis has multiple personalities, not unlike chicago with the northside/southside split. even had two major league baseball teams, one of which became the baltimore orioles. there is the river city, which is the heavy red brick low-in-the-valley place with ties to the river, and the higher elevation second "city" around forest park and that spills west into the pre-war areas of the county which was the fruit of the low slung river city industry, more rail oriented, big apartment buildings, big park, big houses, etc. which is sort of a great lakes-y thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Yeah, I can definitely understand a Baltimore/DC area thing. Good call.

I think the Dallas vibes are more the gently rolling terrain with the multiple "downtown" nodes (though St. Louis' being much older and cooler), and some similarities of some of the neighborhoods... not the older rowhouse and 19th century parts of St. Louis, but more the 1910s-1940s neighborhoods reminded me of the older Dallas neighborhoods. St. Louis, given its location and history, seems to me to be an interesting mix of a number of different (often distant) regions.
st. louis definitely has pulled in vibes from several distant regions. it is true that when chicago collapsed the northern and western st. louis economic hinterlands on st. louis, all st. louis had left (banking, rail) was basically texas. katy, frisco, MOPAC, rail lines, adolphus hotel in downtown dallas, etc. some parts of south st. louis in the summer along the river have a really subtropical new orleans-y/low mississippi valley feel.

part of the city has also always fought off that influence, i imagine the central corridor (now), primarily. both figuratively and quite literally during the civil war. the city was home to TS Eliot, Tennessee Williams, and William S Burroughs, all quite different worldviews figuratively looking in different directions...say, east, south, west...

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM.