View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The Southern Pacific Station on Central Ave. between 5th and 7th Street.

usc digital archive

usc digital archive
When Beaudry posted the images of the old Southern Pacific station, and referenced the above link in his post, it piqued my curiosity, (hey, what can i say? I am easily amused........ ) into finding images of Los Angeles train stations of old

1924 image of the Southern Pacific Terminal on Central

California State library

After the Central Avenue terminal was demolished, it was replaced by Youngs Market Company, (meat packing plant) in 1958

LAPL

Before building the terminal on Central, the Southern Pacific terminal was located on Alameda between 4th and 5th at the Arcade Station.

The Southern Pacific Railroad built the Arcade Station in 1885 in competition against Santa Fe Railroad. It replaced the adobe house of William Wolfskill and its surrounding orange grove, the largest in Southern California. (i just found the posts back on page 27 where the arcade station was discussed, so i apologize for re-posting images and info posted on this thread previously................the story of my life)

This is an 1880 lithograph of the Wolfskill grove

LAPL

This 1890 panorama photo looking east from 3rd and spring, you can see the Arcade Station in the upper left

LAPL

Here is a 1914 photo of the Arcade Station, The same year it was demolished, (note the palm tree, we'll get to that in a bit).

LAPL

Here is a 1910 photo of the interior of the Arcade Station train shed

LAPL

And of course, what is the 1st thing that a visiting tourist from the East wants to see when they arrive in Los Angeles? Why a palm tree of course!

Here's a 1888 photo of a big ass palm tree being planted right in front of the Arcade station

California State Library

detail of the entry facade.........and of course, the big ass palm as well.......

USC Digital Archive

And speaking about the Southern's main competitor, the Santa Fe, they had their La Grande Terminal located by the river at Santa Fe Street between East First and East Second Streets.

1895 image

California State Library

1924 aerial of Santa Fe R.R. La Grande Station

LAPL

The La Grande was a Moorish/Islamic inspired designed structure

LAPL

The 1933 Long Beach Earthquake damaged the structure, and the dome was removed

LAPL

The Los Angeles and independent Railroad had their terminal located on San Pedro and Wolfskill Lane. 1877 Photograph of the station

California State Library

Last edited by gsjansen; Jun 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM.