View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 8:53 PM
ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
BRING BACK CHIANG KAI SHEK!!!! (just kidding )
Ironically, he had obsolute power, but he did almost nothing to rebuild taiwan before he died. In fact, because of him, Taiwan lost about 20 years of valuable years to rebuild after WWII. Taiwan was actually already one of the top regions in Asia already just after Japan and probably Philiphines before WWII.

After, CKS died, his son Chiang Ching-kuo finally decided to build Taiwan. However, try not to be influenced by the old KMT government's propaganda, if you think about it, CCK also had absolute power, but he did not do a good job comparing to China's the current CCP government. Also, think about it, almost all of Taiwan's ugly buildings(including administrative buildings) were built during that time.

Actually, Taiwan's big cities' city plannings are still based on Japanese era's plans. If you go to smaller and newly developed cities boomed after WWII, then you will find messy city layouts. Chungli is one example.

---

I think Taiwan's problem now is that we don't have strick regulations to restrict renovations of buildings' exteriors, so even Taiwan's cheaper newly built buildings are also butt ugly. The bar windows, and billboards are all over those new buildings. I am also disgusted by those windows boomed all over Taiwane in the past 10 years: http://www.hf101.com/wset.htm(check out the example photos in the page). Taiwan's major cities look like Korean and Japanese cities(not a big suprise). However, the only big differece is what I just mentioned above.

In the past few years, I acutally found some apartment buildings built in the 60's and 70's in Taipei being torn down to rebuild. It's a good start!