View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Most of the subway stops are not directly on the Fulton Mall. The reason those retailers are there is because the perform well, better than a lot of Manhattan establishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is there something wrong with Fulton Street being lined with sneaker shops?

If it's a symptom of urban decay, as it was on State Street in Chicago or Canal St in New Orleans, then it's not good, but if the stores are well-patronized and the street is bustling, then I have no problem with these kinds of businesses.
There's nothing wrong with Fulton Street as it is, it's one of the top performing shopping districts in the City. I used to work in the area - on Fulton itself and at the Metro-tech Center. The City acknowledges that it's one of the great shopping districts, however with all of the recent residential developments and proximity to some of Brooklyn's better neighborhoods, they want to give it more of a Manhattan feel (a nice way of saying gentrified), something I am against. I was last there during the summer - on a very hot day - but I did notice it was already losing some of what made Fulton Street what it was.

Information here....
http://www.dbpartnership.org/dobusin...ltonmall/facts

And more here...
http://www.fultonstreet.org/

Quote:
Fulton Street Mall is considered one of the most successful shopping districts in the New York City metropolitan area, attracting 100,000 shoppers a day. Within this 17 block district are numerous retailers, including Macy's, Modell's, Conway, Cookie's, Jimmy Jazz and Zales, as well as independent shops like Heart & Sole and Mirage Boutique.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.