Thread: Windsor talk
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 3:08 PM

Windsor area experiencing population growth not seen in two decades:

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...ulation-growth

Hi, everyone, being a Windsorite who lived in Detroit in the early 2000s and fell in love with grassroots approach to urban development that existed there, my interest in our beloved little neck of the woods is recognized as an area that has untapped potential. I do hope the little sparks that exist in both the private and public sectors will get us to identify our civic assets. That being said, I think this article identifies an important step in our need to start thinking regionally.

Oops, I didn't realize this article has already been posted here.
That being said, this opinion piece by Gord Henderson, with Rino Bortolin, although fairly light on policy discussion that Gord typically likes reference in his work, is interesting because it is showing as a hint in a change in status quo.
For those who are unaware, the status quo of Windsor includes a relatively small group of elites who have recognized the importance of Windsor to the economy of Ontario but have been able to successfully prevent outsiders coming into the fold. Gord Henderson has been a mouthpiece for the (still strong) influence of former mayor Eddie Francis in the local political sphere.
Rino is the city councilor that represents downtown Windsor (ward 3) and has the challenge of stemming the rising tide of disinvestment of the core. He has been an advocate of the Community Investment Plan which essentially creates tax incentives for real estate investments in the core (which has had some initial success). He has been at odds with the political forces that currently represent the face of the city of Windsor and had a vision that was in the minority on city council up until the past election. There are some new faces with more progressive ideas on civic investments and in their first budget proposal have stayed away from flashy government investments (think WFCU Centre, Adventure Bay) and are more focused on investing in the less sexy but sorely needed investments that lay the foundation for private investment.

https://windsorstar.com/opinion/edit...-elected-twice

Last edited by DetWin; Apr 14, 2019 at 5:08 PM.