View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:03 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

When I first came to Vancouver I noticed a distinct forest vegetation smell in the summer, I described it as fresh, but some described it as musty. It's unlike anything back east and I still notice it every year. I think it's the smell of the rainforest and it can permeate the city. I really notice the ocean too sometimes, especially at night. It's similar to the Atlantic, palpable in areas like the west end, near the water of course. As for more urban smells, there are are the usual ones in some areas like breweries, etc., there used to be a fish processing facility near here which bothered some people, but it since moved out. There used to be sawmills too. Sometimes in the summer the odor of agricultural manure is common, it wafts in from south of the Fraser and hangs in the air. Another common urban smell on the street is marijuana. Mostly the traffic fumes smell is not severe here, having electric busses seems to help. Back alleys in commercial areas are their own thing, a variety, not always good. I'll limit this post to just olfactory observations.