View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I always wonder what the west coast would be like if British Envoy Richard Pakenham actually gave a crap during the Oregon Treaty negotiations and the Columbia river became the US/Canada border, as it should have been. What is now Vancouver, WA, would be the third biggest city in the country with tons of room to sprawl like LA. It would also be far and away the best climate in Canada, just as far south as Toronto but with moderating ocean effect and no imposing mountain range to trap all the rain clouds.

That means Seattle would be part of Canada too, with significantly reduced importance and population. Current Vancouver would have a different name and be even smaller still, only relevant due to the Fraser River. Portland, as a border city, would probably be smaller too. Or maybe more important to the US? Not sure. Despite its name it's not really an important port. Though as the new northwest corner of the USA it would probably become an important US military city, much like San Diego.

Victoria, too, would see reduced importance since the need to secure Vancouver Island for Canada wouldn't happen with Fort Vancouver staying put. And Fort Vancouver would most likely be the BC capital instead of New Westminster/Victoria.

The real impact would be 100+ years from now when more people have settled in the west, lured by multiple large cities and warmer climates. Current Vancouver WA might eventually become the largest city in the country, and the west coast would have far more political influence with 3+ cities over 1 million.
I beg to differ re Salish Sea and Puget Sound losing their importance. Ft Vancouver WA is an 8hr transit up the Columbia River (if my memory is correct, its been awhile since I attended the annual RCN Spawning run to Portland) and the sand bar at the entrance to the Columbia is a SOB to cross. In addition there is the amount of dredging that needs to be done to keep the Columbia navigable for ocean going ships. Meanwhile Burrard Inlet and the Seattle area are far far easier for cargo ships to get into.

Same reasons exist for Portland becoming a major USN base, its just not a practical area for naval operations. I think that San Francisco would have developed more into that role. (Due to amalgamation of US armed forces real estate all the bases in the SF area were shut down).

I also wonder if Canada was as far south as the Columbia that Alaska would have even been on the US radar when it came for sale.