View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:03 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
I am certain you already know the answer.
nobody is arguing that old buildings are not wonderful....we are arguing that they cant be replicated....

paris is spectacular....it has a scale and proportion that creates incredible public space....it has a strong street edge and wonderfully homogeneous density....all of those things could and should be done in modern design as well...that is just good urban quality.

paris sets itself apart because it has these qualities while at the same time it has many buildings that were built during a time when artistic craftsmanship was at it's peak....the ornament on the ornate facades was hand carved from stone....

if you started today and built a paris somewhere in the southern states, you could not replicate it....the technology simply does not exist...it would become the french version of main street USA in disneyworld....

appreciate that we have places like paris....they can not be reconstructed today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
All modernist theory aside, it is people who live, work and exist around modern architecture. I simply do not believe that they like it, much less love it. Does any modern architecture inspire the love that say Paris does?
are you really suggesting that no modern architecture is inspiring?....do you need a list?....pretty sure the people who lived in fallingwater loved it....the guggenheim in bilbao transformed an entire city....i can list thousands inspiring modern buildings.

paris is a city, not a piece of architecture.....it is filled with modern buildings.....the eiffel tower was instrumental in the modernist movement....la grande arche is one of my favourite buildings....

i went to university in copenhagen and in the local newspaper once, people were asked what was their favourite building in denmark....a country filled with wonderful castles, palaces and historic gems.....the building that won the poll was the national library.

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 14, 2010 at 6:59 AM.