View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:21 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Antennas are attachments and are not part of the structure, same goes for flagpoles and stuff.
In some cases they're only temporary, or may be added to. Some are even removed altogether. They just did that for one of San Antonio's most famous buildings, the Tower Life Building. They removed a huge antenna/mast that had been up there since the 50s. The building was built in 1929, and originally had a flagpole up there. After taking down the antenna, they restored part of the cupola on the roof, and also placed a flagpole up there to match the one that was up there before the antenna.

I've always supported spires over antennae and flagpoles, or anything else that wasn't included as part of the building's design. That is, strictly for architectural purposes. Antennas, flagpoles and clocks come and go, but spires and other strictly architectural features are permanent. It would be like ripping off the hood ornament of a Mercedes to replace it without an antenna. It would actually decrease the value of it. Imagine if they did that to the Chrysler Building for an antenna. The Empire State Building for instance has not always had its antenna, and it might in the future be removed, too.

Although, I live 5 miles from downtown Austin, and the one building we have that has a spire really only makes a major impact with its roof. I can see the spire day and night, but the spire's impact on the skyline is pretty much unimportant, especially compared to other buildings with higher roofs.