View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
That ocean breeze stops a couple miles on shore. Atlanta is in the Piedmont region of the Appalachian Mountains, with an average elevation of approximately 1,000 ft, and, as a result, it has a significantly "cooler" summer than many other areas of the deep south. Atlanta summers are far more desirable than most (not all) of Florida, since it's cooler!
I challenge that. I grew up in Washington DC and lived for 4 years in Durham, NC which also has a little elevation. Then I moved to Florida: first Gainesville, then Orlando and Ormond Beach. Of them all, Washington has the worst climate. But Florida, even inland in Orlando and Gainesville, was not as hot or oppressive as up in the "deep south" states not surrounded by water. Ormond, in fact, rarely got out of the 80's on summer days. Orlando and Gainesville often did--maybe 92 but they didn't seem as bad as the Carolinas and Georgia to me (and most days there were afternoon thinder storms to cool things off).

Anyway, in SF we complain of a heat wave when it gets over 70. That's my kind of place.