View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:26 AM
Meh

Ha, well, I would respect their judgment if it was in good shape. Of course no one seems to care about it. I knew right away what building they were talking about without a name or address being listed. It's really the epitome of decay in downtown. I would be for keeping it, only if someone decided to restore it and reuse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam
That building is filled with asbestos, it needs to be torn down.
Just because it's full of asbestos doesn't mean it has to be torn down, and that doesn't mean it can be torn down either. In fact, any time a building does have asbestos in it, every bit of it has to be removed first, and the building cleaned before it can even be demolished. Can't go filling the air in downtown San Antonio with a carcinogenic substance. The Bank One Tower in Fort Worth that had been slated for demolition, then saved, was full of asbestos. It took about a year to remove all of it. There were guys on site in bunny suits scrubbing the walls to get rid of the stuff. That building is now one of the tallest residential buildings in North Texas.

As for the list of former occupants, I'm not impressed. I love the San Antonio Zoo dearly, but I don't think some building that once housed the offices of a firm that developed the zoo is a just reason for saving a building. Now, if it was something directly connected to San Antonio's government, or some kind of state history (San Antonio is full of it) then of course.

H.C. Thorman developed Olmos Park and a few others:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...s.2b8cc51.html

Couldn't find much on H.J. Shearer, though his name did pop up, nothing too detailed.

Thou shall not indict