View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 7:31 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
The new RT station at U of M is awful... its located way down Dafoe, far away from most of the campus and the busiest stops are all at the very end. Also it just has large shelters with RT logos tacked on them. I hoped it would be similar to the station at Jubilee or Fort Rouge
I think it's difficult to locate the bus stops conveniently due to the disaster that is Dafoe in general. The issue is more so the bad planning of the campus, where a small road like Dafoe cuts through the middle of it and serves as the primary entrance point for huge numbers of cars and buses onto campus. Makes it difficult for anyone to travel along it, and to cross too. The main exchange had to be further where much fewer cars and people go so as not to conflict with them all any more than they already do. With regards to individual bus routes, I'm sure there's some reason why they ended up the way they did.

As far as the stations go, I think it'd be hard to make one big fancy one like on the Transitway, given the many buses that stop there. Can't make one super long one; I think the way they did it with multiple large shelters makes sense.

My only complaint is that they used those tall upside-down-L stop markers. They're so ugly and old-fashioned and I assumed they were being phased out in favour of the tall rectangles. Guess not.