View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I was in New York in the weekend and people were crammed in standing 3-4 abreast, I almost took a picture just to refute that, its 100% false, the only way people are standing in orderly lines is when the train is not really busy.

Heres a picture: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...-yorkers-c.jpg
You Google pictures, I Google pictures. Even in yours, people are really only bunched up around the doors. In the space between the seats, I'm counting only two, two, one, two people as you go down the car. Any more would seem to require either less personal space than even the Japanese are willing to endure, or quantum physics.

Quote:
And with regard to Cubic and the Compass system the issues were actually in large part to do with Translinks demands of having zone fares on buses etc. it had little to do with Cubics actual products, and knowing their smart cards doing the things Vancouver wanted they should not have chosen them, accentures System (Presto) used in Toronto would likely have worked better.

A link: http://www.nationalpost.com/m/rollou...230/story.html
I'd very much like to see the article where they state that TransLink's insistence on zoning was the problem; anything else would seem to be a reach. All we know is that Cubic screwed up as per usual, tried to cover it up, and let TransLink take all the backlash from the media and public.

Quote:
You also mentioned how so many cities used Hyundai Rotem rolling stock which is true, however most of the cities you mentioned do not use Rotem for Metro Rolling stock but for lower traffic commuter trains (virtually all of which in the US have been plagued with problems).
The cities I mentioned (Singapore excluded) don't use Rotems or LCDs at all, that's the point. If I'm using third world examples, it's because those are mostly the cities that Hyundai Rotem supplies.

The only first world cities out side of Korea are Athens, Istanbul, Ankara and Singapore, whose H-R trains look exactly like ours. And Singapore's the only city outside of Korea to get LCDs, because they made their own... must be nice to have those kind of resources.

Quote:
There is 0 chance that having lcds is going to add 10% to the cost and 0 chance that a 17" lcd is going to cost $40,000 , a NEC 40" commercial panel costs less than 1k (https://www.necdisplay.com/p/displays/c501)

. If you don't see why thats a ridiculous suggestion I don't know what to say. Firstly, we wouldn't be using TV sized panels (40+ inch) second, they stay in a climate controlled dry area.
Rest assured, the feeling is very, very mutual.

Quote:
Delhis local trains are incredibly overcrowded, old, and many do not even have doors (I've actually spent a lot of time in Delhi as it were). The trains are in an awful state, I'm not dragging anything down I'm just saying it how it is (from first hand experience riding systems there).
Vancouver, Toronto, New York AND Delhi, all while still being in school? Damn, I knew I should've gone to U of T - every day must be like the Magic friggin' School Bus.

Quote:
My point is it seems like most of the arguments you are making are extraneous and/or false, I never claimed having lcd's in our train was essential but, I don't think anyone would say it would not be a nice addition to the Canada Lines new cars. The attitude that features like these are just "fancy" extras. Is again the reason that our transit isn't great. Sure other cities may not have them right now, but most cities ordering new rail transit vehicles (which may be used for decades) in Canada have them so why oh why can't we.

Now lets get back to topic on issues directly pertaining to the Canada Line, at least we will get more trains.
Because we don't feel the need to be jealous of transit authorities who have much more spare cash and larger populations like they're kids on the playground with the latest Big Shiny Thing (TM). We'll get there when we get their resources.

No, our transit isn't great because the buses can take 15-30 minutes to show up, and because the SkyTrain barely covers a quarter of the metro region. Transit can look "sexy," but it's only great when it works well, and it works well when people get moved from Point A to Point B to Point C in the fastest time possible. Anything else is indeed a fancy extra, of which TransLink has already installed on many stations.

Yup, getting more trains is always a good thing