View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
There are a pair of stub tunnels at or near the Pentagon station that were built for future connection to a Metro line under Columbia Pike. Your idea of running a line on a top be determined route through Arlington between the Pentagon station and East Falls Church to the Silver Line is an interesting one, but I don't it has been seriously considered. Does not show up in the various alternatives shown in the viewgraph presentations at the DC Metro Technical Advisory group webpage. That new route would then dump more traffic onto the busy Yellow and Green lines - unless it woudl then cut to a new N-S line in DC running further west to Union Station.

Among the capacity chokepoints in the DC Metro system that any major new line has to address in the core are Union Station which is the busiest station in the Metro system and the Orange-Blue crunch from Rosslyn through the city. So the conceptual looks at the line - be it re-routed Silver or Blue lines - through Georgetown to M St to Union Station as among the studied alternatives.
I don't think the Rt. 7 line from King St. to Tysons has been seriously considered, either. There is bus service, and possibly some express service or something for that route, but I haven't heard of Metro looking at that, either.

I think the cross-town subway along with new tunnel need to be the major priorities for the WMATA going forward with Metro. These projects take so long to execute, hopefully there are some serious talks about it in the next few years or so as the Tysons projects winds down.